Jean established Roberts Management Concepts Pty Ltd in 1985, and until 2012 worked in all States and Territories of Australia and in New Zealand, USA and Canada as a consultant, facilitator, trainer, writer and speaker. Her extensive and practical experience in and with the nonprofit and SME sectors included:
- 1996/97, researched, wrote and published a set of 44 Issue Papers on practical topics associated with the governance and management of nonprofit organisations: these later became the basis for the 44 Units in my 2004 book/CD ROM Managing Governance in Nonprofit Organisations in Australia.
- 1998 to and including 2003, designed and presented the Australian Institute of Management (Victoria/Tasmania) 2-day ‘Successful Tendering’ course based on my book Competitive Tendering. This course was an accredited module within the AIM Diplomas of Business.
- 2006 to 2011, annual Guest Lecturer on the topic of writing submissions and tenders, School of English, Communication and Performance Studies – Faculty of Arts, Monash University, Melbourne.
- 2006 to 2010, Project Manager for the development of a Certificate IV in Social Housing for Indigenous Housing Officers in Victoria. Aboriginal Housing Victoria was funded by FaHCSIA for this innovative Project, with the Office of Housing as partner in 2006 to 2008, and Swinburne University as partner in 2009/10.
- 2008 and 2009, annual Guest Lecturer on the topic of Entrepreneurship, Thames Valley University (UK), with Students on Placement in Entrepreneurial Education (SPEED).
- 2008, researched and wrote Partnerships and Mergers Resource Kit for Office of Housing funded community organisations, through a consultancy with the Office of Housing: published by the Victorian Department of Human Services, May 2008. The Kit follows an 8-stage flowchart with 14 tools to assist funded organisations in considering, preparing for, and implementing a partnership relationship or merger.
- 2010 and ongoing, designing and presenting the Australian Industry Group 2-day ‘Successful Quoting and Tendering Techniques’ course based on (a) my book Competitive Tendering, and (b) my e-book Successful Quoting and Tendering for SMEs and Nonprofit Organisations. This course is presented in Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria.
- 2010/11, preparation of Making Ethics Work Checklist for the SME and Nonprofit sectors.
Jean’s active interest in and involvement with formal and informal research in nonprofit and SME sectors included:
- June 2011 - Melbourne, Australia, Connecting Up 2011, Reboot Your Nonprofit: Control your position in the sector, Alt(er) your perception of On-line tools, Delete your fear of change: presented her paper on the Critical Link between Governance. IT/Technology, Staff competencies and resource availability.
- July 2010 - Wodonga, Australia, SIEC-ISBE 82nd International Conference, 2010, Pedagogical Program – from SIEC-ISBE-members – for SIEC-ISBE-members, Ethics and Sustainability: facilitated an interactive session on Making Ethics Work, incorporating the work of published authors in Ethics and Enterprise – Roger Cook and Janette Munro of Thames Valley University, St Mary’s Road, Ealing, London W5 5RF, United Kingdom
- May 2010 - Melbourne, Australia, Dieticians Association of Australia 28th National Conference, Next Generation Nutrition: Innovative Solutions: facilitated a half-day Submission Writing Skills workshop
- November 2008 - Belfast, Northern Ireland, 30th Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship, World Conference, in conjunction with the International Small Business Congress, International Entrepreneurship – Promoting excellence in education, research and practice: attendance and active participation.
- November 2007 - Glasgow, UK, 29th Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship, World Conference, National Entrepreneurship and Small and Medium Enterprise Development International Entrepreneurship – Stimulating Smarter Successful Small Business World-wide: attendance and active participation.
- June 2006 - Melbourne, Australia, 51st International Council of Small Business World Conference, Unique Solutions for Unique Environments: attendance and active participation.
- November 2005 - Blackpool, UK, 27th Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship, World Conference, National Entrepreneurship and Small and Medium Enterprise Development Illuminating Entrepreneurship – the theory and practice of enterprise creation and development: attendance and active participation.
- November 2004 - Newcastle/Gatehead, UK, 26th Institute for Small Business and Enterpreneurship, World Conference, National Entrepreneurship and Small and Medium Enterprise Development Creating Opportunities: Entrepreneurship & SME Development in Education, Policy and Research: presented her paper on Entrepreneurial Initiative as a Sole Operator
- June 2000 - Brisbane, International Council of Small Business, World Conference, Entrepreneurial SMEs – Engines for Growth in the Millennium: attendance and active participation.
- October 1999 - 2nd International Conference of the Groupe École Supérieure de Commerce de Rennes, at Rennes/St Malo, France Entrepreneurship: Building for the Future: presented her paper Women Entrepreneurs—a Case Study in Retrospective Planning
- American Quality Congress: May 1999 - 53rd American Quality Congress, “Surfin’ into the Next Millenium”. Paper co-written with Gerald M Murine (of METRIQS International of California USA), Integrating Quality Metrics and Relationships Grids, was personally delivered by Gerald Murine at Annaheim, California, USA.
Jean’s practical experience includes Partner in a precision engineering company, Company Director, Community Worker, Nonprofit Board Member, Consultant, Trainer, Mentor, Writer and Sole Operator.
Further details are available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1994, completed accreditation as a World Competitive Service (WCS) consultant.
- 1996, completed the Australian Institute of Company Director’s Course.
- 2000, awarded the WA2611 Certificate VI in Workplace Training and Assessment.
- 2002 to present, member of the Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (ISBE) UK